Quick Guide to USCIS Forms

Quick Guide to Forms

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (“I-130 petition”): Establishes that a valid family relationship exists between a U.S. citizen (USC) or green card holder (LPR) and a person seeking a green card.

Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary: To collect additional information about the foreign spouse, to be used for the security background checks.

Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status: Green card application to obtain lawful permanent resident status. Also known as the adjustment of status or AOS application.

Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization: Application for temporary work permit (aka “EAD”), valid while green card application is pending. EADs are taking a long time to be issued (about 5-7 months), so it might not be received much earlier than the green card, if at all. But in case there are any delays with the green card application, this temporary benefit will be in place.

 Form I-131, Application for Travel Document: Application for “Advance Parole,” i.e. permission to return to the U.S. after international travel without “abandoning” the green card application while it is pending. This benefit is typically issued in combination with the EAD and also takes 5-7 months, so you will not be allowed to leave the U.S. for several months after your green card application is filed (unless you hold H-1B/H-4 or L-1/L-2 visa status). Please advise our office if you have any fixed travel plans.

Form I-864, Affidavit of Support: Contract between the sponsor (USC/LPR spouse) and the government, in which the sponsor promises to financially support their foreign spouse if he/she is unable to do so on their own. Sponsor must show that he/she has enough income and/or assets to maintain the intending immigrant(s) and the rest of his/her household at 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Currently, the minimum income required for a household size of 2 in Hawaii is: $24,787.50. If the USC/LPR spouse does not have enough income and/or assets to meet the sponsorship requirements, a joint sponsor will be required.

 Form G-28, Notice of Entry as Appearance as Attorney: This form authorizes your attorney to send and receive USCIS correspondence on your behalf. USCIS generally sends a set of notices to both the attorney and to you.

Form I-797C, Notice of Action: Notices sent by USCIS in connection with your case, such as a receipt notice, biometrics appointment notice, interview appointment notice, or approval notice.

Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record: Green card applicants must establish that they are not inadmissible to the U.S. on public health grounds. A medical exam with a USCIS-approved doctor is required, and the doctor will fill out and sign this form.